Invisalign is a new technology that we offer on selected cases. The Invisalign technology uses a series of clear vacuum molded “aligners” which gradually shift your teeth into the correct positions. Invisalign is usually reserved for our adult or mature teenage patients, While not for everyone, Invisalign may fit your needs.
The Herbst appliance is used to correct the front-to-back relationship of the upper and lower jaws, often referred to as Class II problems. The rod and tube that is affectionately called “the shock absorber” actually connects the upper and lower jaws. This really does not interfere with opening and closing your mouth or with eating. You might find side to side movement is somewhat restricted. More here
Things You Will Need To Get Used To
1. The bottom screws will irritate the lip. Your lip will toughen up like a callous, but it will take a few days for it to happen. You can put Orabase on the inside of the lip and cheek where it is sore. You can also place orthodontic wax over the screws to make it smoother. On rare occasions, it may be necessary for us to give you cotton rolls. These cotton rolls are placed inside your cheek to keep your lip and cheek away from the screw while you are sleeping.
2. When the lower jaw is brought forward, the back teeth do not come together as they did prior to the placement of the appliance, so be patient. Those teeth will come together so that you can chew normally in about a week.
3. Most of the time, there is no tenderness in the teeth when the Herbst appliance is placed. Every once in a while, a patient may feel some tenderness which is normally short-lived. It will disappear in a few days.
Possible But Not Probable Problems
1. If you open very wide, sometimes the rods and tubes can pop apart. If they do, just open wide and put the rods and tubes back together. If you cannot get them together, you can leave them apart and call for an appointment to put them back together again. If, when the rods and tubes are apart, you are not in pain, they can wait to be put back together until the next day or over the weekend because the muscles will hold the jaw in position. If they are causing pain, call the office and we will put them back together as soon as possible. If you are having a problem with the rods and tubes disengaging quite often, then please call the office and we will make the rods and tubes longer so they will not come apart as easily. We don’t like to do that unless it is necessary because we don’t want to move your jaw too far or too fast because it grows better if we move it gradually.
2. Occasionally, a screw may come loose. If this happens, you will have a rod or tube dangling in your mouth. If this is causing pain, then call our office and we will replace the rod and tube as soon as possible. If it is not causing pain, it can wait until the next day or over the weekend.
3. Infrequently, the Herbst can come loose or break; there is nothing indestructible we can put in your mouth. If you have a problem with something breaking or becoming loose, please contact our office. If it is not causing you pain and you can function, you can wait until the next day or over the weekend. However, if you cannot function normally or there is pain, please contact the office and we will correct the problem as quickly as possible.Read More